My work is concerned with digging about under the surface of places. Gathering histories, dissecting, reassembling them, or inventing my own. Methods and processes used in Archaeology have often played a part directly in the work, generating a residency and long term collaboration with UCL Institute of Archaeology.
Making, and an engagement and experimentation with materials and methods is important in my practice, using a wide range of media to create both objects and installations, or manipulating and reassembling found artefacts and materials.
Recently, I have been researching and exploring some ancient and modern methods of revealing or extracting information, both disputed and credible, such as divining, and modern counterparts.
In modern scientific methods of revealing the ‘truth’, in depth details of the ‘make up’ of a material are possible. However within this much content is still missing. The areas of the unknown within the analysis fascinate me, as does the possibility of manipulating the results.
My interest in delving underneath, to reveal hidden information from places and people has been used to develop permanently sited artworks for architecture, site specific projects with public participation, and collaborative projects. I have been commissioned by different organisations, galleries and museums including Commissions East for the Foundling Museum, and Firstsite Colchester.
- 2009 Sarah Sabin ' Domestic Science', Babylon Gallery, Ely, Cambridgeshire
- 2009 Sarah Sabin Artist in residence, works in progress, UCL Institute of Archaeology, Leventis Gallery. and Wilkins Building North observatory, Gordon square, London
- 2002 'Underground', Firstsite, Colchester
- 2001 Mapping the Boundaries, University of Essex
- 2010 Cu, Palace Hotel basement bar, Oxford Road, Manchester, Manchester (more info)
- 2007 RSVP: Contemporary artists at the Foundling Museum, The Foundling Museum, London (more info)
- 2006 'Outside 06' - Site specific all female group show, Cuckoo farm, studios, Colchester
- 2004 Cuckoo Farm group show, Buckenham Gallery, Southwold
- 2002 Over the River, Wolsey Art Gallery, Ipswich
- 2008 Artist in residence, Wolfson laboratories, Archaeology department, U.C.L, London www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/art/
- 2005 Artist space residency, Firstsite, Colchester
- 2011 Of gunpowder and gold, firstsite, Colchester
- 2010 Lead Artist, Mackays redevelopment(in progress), Cambridge
- 2009 Public art commission, Greenfields Community Housing, and Richards Partington Architects, Greenfields H.Q , Braintree, Essex
- 2005 'Broomfield'. Mixed media artwork, Broomfield Hospital, Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford, Essex
- 2004 Rec- create. Interactive, multimedia touring cabinet, Colchester Borough council, Touring
- 2010 The Colchester Capsule, Firstsite, Colchester
- 2007 Grants for the Arts, major funding award, Arts Council England, East
- 2006 'Escalator'. One of selected artists for 2006/7, Commissions East/ ACEE, ACE eastern region
Web links - gallery/work/projects