.......Over time, as these different manners of applying paint fused together at the centre of the canvas, a painted mass took up residence, flipping between materiality and the non-thing, not securely a depiction but not nothing either: both, really, at once. And, as a reflection of the ontological slipperiness of the painted object and the painting-as-object, this manages to be analogous for something else that's equally unstable within the physical-conceptual structure of this art. For want of a better word we might call this 'content' (though this is to simplify things wildly), and it brings us back to the abject and to the famously big psychological knot of object relations as they pertain to the child and the mother. Since this, scooping up Kristeva and Freud at the very least, was a major part of GL Brierley's avowed impetus for these paintings......... Martin Herbert ©
CV & Education
Qualifications and training
- 2007 - MFA, Goldsmiths (having previously gained an MA at The Royal College of Art.
- 2015 - IMPOSSIBLE HEAP, Feldbuschwiesner, Berlin, Germany.
- 2013 - TENDER FOLDS, Feldbuschwiesner, Berlin, Germany.
- 2012 - NEW PAINTINGS, Carslaw St* Lukes Gallery, London
- 2010 - MATERSATZ, Madder 139, London.
- 2010 - VOLTA NY, Solo presentation,Madder 139, New York
- 2008 - RECENT PAINTINGS, Natalia Goldin Gallery, Stockholm, Sweden
- 2005 - THE NAUGHTY PUPPIES Firstsite, Colchester, UK
- 2015 - (DETAIL), Curator Andrew Bracey. H Project Space, Bangkok and Transition Gallery, London 2015, Usher Gallery, Lincoln, UK 2015.
- 2015 - STILL LIFE, Ambiguous Practices, Curator Frances Woodley, Aberyswyth University School of Art Gallery & Museum, UK
- 2015 - IN SCHONHEIT AUFERSTEHEN, Curator Bernd Wurlizer, Galerie Patrick Ebensberger, Berlin.
- 2014 - ALLES WAS ICH MAG, Curators Philip Grozinger & Andre Odier, Schau Fenster, Berlin.
- 2014 - 100 PAINTERS OF TOMORROW, Christie’s London & Beers Contemporary, London
- 2014 - THE FUTURE CAN WAIT, Saatchi Gallery & Channel 4’s New Sensations, Victoria House, Bloomsbury, London.
- 2014 - (DETAIL), H Project Space, Bangkok.
- 2014 - THE HALLUCINATED WORLD, curator Marc Wellmann, Haus am Lutzowplatz, Berlin.
- 2014 - (DETAIL), curator Andrew Bracey, H Project Space, Bangkok, Transition Gallery, Sept.
- 2014 - FLEURSDUMAL, Lion & Lamb galley & Charlie Smith Gallery, London.
- 2013 - THE VIEWING ROOM, All Visual Arts, London
- 2013 - PRESENT TENSE, FUTURE PERFECT, Feldbuschwiesner, Berlin.
- 2012 - METOMORPHOSIS: The Transformation of Being, All Visual Arts, London
- 2012 - 27 Artists-27 Countries, museum Tongerlohuys, Netherlands
- 2012 - EVERYWHERE & NOWHERE, Reydan Weiss Collection, Villa Jauss, Germany
- 2011 - 4 Person Show, Schwarz Contemporary, Berlin, Germany
- 2011 - A PIECE OF PAPER, Madder 139, London
- 2011 - FOUR in PLAY, Madder 139, London
- 2011 - VOLTA 8, Madder 139, Art Basel, Switzerland
- 2011 - MEMORIES OF THE FUTURE, La Maison Rouge, Paris.
- 2011 - RESTLESS NATURE, Newlyn Gallery, Penzance, UK
- 2010 - BLACK, Madder 139, London
- 2010 - JOHN MOORES, Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool, UK
- 2009 - BORDERLAND, Collyer Bristow Gallery, London
- 2008 - WHISPERS OF IMMORTALITY, Curated by Joakim Borda, Natalia Goldin Gallery, Sweden.
- 2008 - ARTFUTURES, Bloomberg Space, London
- 2008 - SALON '08, Vine Space, Vyner St. London
- 2007 - LAST OF THE URGENTS, Colony Project Space, Birmingham, UK
- 2007 - THE TEARDROP EXPLODES, Stadtgalerie, Schwaz, Austria
- 2006 - LIGHT DIVIDED , Curated by Ben Austin, Louise Blouin Foundation, London
- 2005 - LONDON NOW, The Art's Centre, St. Petersburg, Florida. USA
- 2004 - JOHN MOORES 23 , Walker Gallery, Liverpool, England.
- 2007 - FOREIGN BODY(ies), Curated by Gerard Hemsworth, White Box, New York
- 2006 - DEFINING THE CONTEMPORARY, Curated by Andrea Tarsia, Whitechapel Art Gallery, London
- Collection of, Murderme Collection, Damien Hirst, UK
- Collection of, Olbricht Collection, Dusseldorf, Germany.
- Collection of, Robin Woodhead, CEO Sotheby's International, London