About the Artist
Emily Campbell is an International Artist who lives in Cambridge. Campbell has over 20 years experience making work for both private and public commissions, including the NHS, Local Government as well as Schools and Colleges. Campbell graduated with a First Class Degree from Camberwell School of Art, in London, before going on to complete an MA in Alternative Media at Chelsea School of Art. As well as Public Art Commissions, Campbell has exhibited in Galleries throughout the UK as well as New York, Valencia and London.
About Emily Campbell’s practice
Through the use of photography my practice seeks to create a world that on the one hand is real and on the other – imaginary. Using digital imaging, I effectively ‘paint with photographs’. Each image is made up of many smaller photographs enabling me to create surreal and magical scenarios.
I have always been fascinated with the way we view art, the expectations we have and the relationship between art and the viewer. Much of my practice creates enormous floor pieces, often cracking up the floor to reveal escaping flora and fauna. Walking over the floors means the viewer is directly involved in the artwork, becoming ‘part of the picture’ for the other visitors to the gallery.
The work I create for Public Commissions however, seeks to create an uplifting yet calming environment. Often working with a creative writer in the community, I visualise the poetic texts created about the local area. Large surreal vistas are installed as light boxes or printed onto Perspex, allowing the visitor views of their locality possibly only before seen in their dreams.
All the photographs I use I take my self, building my image library with each project. I have made work through out the UK, from Edinburgh to Plymouth, which allows a multitude of different landscapes from which to choose. I am a firm believer of beauty in the world, next time you blow a bubble or notice the sun reflected in a raindrop, look longer and see what might be there.
CV & Education
1991 - 1992 MA Alternative Media Chelsea School of Art, London.
1988 - 1991 B.A Hons (1st Class) Fine Art Camberwell School of Art, London.
1987 - 1988 Art Foundation Norwich School of Art.
Public Art Commissions
- Milton Children’s Hospice, Cambridge – Commissioned to work with families and staff to create a large wall piece for the entrance to the Hospice.
- Cambridge Crematorium – Commissioned to create large canvas artworks for the waiting area.
- University Technical College, Cambridge – Commissioned to work with scientists and local students to create public artwork for the new build.
- Cambridge and Peterborough Mental Health NHS – Lead Artist - created a series of Light Boxes for refurbished Dementia Ward.
- Edinburgh Sick Kids Hospital – Working with staff and patients to created 2 large light boxes for the entrance to the Hospital
- University of North Staffordshire Lead artist for new build Children’s Ward’s.
- BSF project Dandelion Public Art Commission for Kings School Wolverhampton.
- Blackburn New NHS Build - Major glazing commission for front of new Health Centre.
- Manchester Children’s Hospital, - A series of images and installations for Ward 78.
- Edinburgh Children’s Hospital Accident and Emergency Dept – Lead artist for proposed artworks in new build A and E
- Imagining Glossop. Glossop Primary Care New Build, Glossop.
- Imagining Bury. Bury NHS. Large scale vinyl artworks for new Health Care Development, Bury.
- Milton Keynes Dreaming. Working with community to create a 60 x 20 ft floor piece for exhibition at Young People’s Music Festival, Milton Keynes.
- Imagining Plymouth. Photographic Commission for Plymouth Accident and Emergency Department.
- Visions of Hartlepool. Hartlepool Police Station, Hartlepool.
- Lead Artist for Haywood Hospital. To engage with the hospital community, and commission local art students to create a body of work that documents and ‘remembers’ the Haywood Hospital.
- Magic Perry Common. Dove Health Centre, Birmingham.
- From Lozell’s with Love and Respect. Lozell’s Health Centre Birmingham.
- Views from Greenridge. Greenridge Health Centre, Birmingham.
- Visions of Home. Summerfield Health Centre, Birmingham.
- Views from Westheath, Westheath Health Centre, Birmingham.
- Lead Artist for Reflective Space. A Kings Fund initiative for Harplands Hospital Stoke on Trent.
- Lead Artist LIFT. Engaging with design teams, PCT’s, and local communities to create proposals for public artworks in five new build health centres in Birmingham.
- Visions of You. Research Action Project in Stourport on Severn with pro/POSIT.
- Love Ties. A Major Permanent Public Art Work, for Hanley Park Stoke on Trent.
- The Medicine. A Digital Imaging Commission for Creative Remedies Arts and Health Website.
- Love Ties 2. A Creative Partnerships project ‘Hearts on Fire’ digital project for Birches Head High School, Stoke on Trent.
- How Does Your Garden Grow?. Summerbank Primary School, Stoke on Trent.
- Beyond My Bricks and Mortar. Archbishop Grimshaw School Birmingham.
- The Wall that Wished it Wasn’t There. A consultation commission for the Haywood Hospital, Stoke on Trent.
- Shire Hall Gallery 2110. Invited group exhibition Visual Illusions Shire Hall Gallery Stafford.
- Without you I am Lost… Invited digital media exhibition at The University of Valencia, Spain.
- The Blue Butterfly…Solo exhibition at The Potteries Museum and Art Gallery, Stoke on Trent.
- Mosquito Night. Collaboration with performer Christine Watkins and scientist Angela Priestman at Herefordshire Courtyard Gallery.
- Creature Carpet. Selected exhibition Folly Gallery, Lancaster.
- The Real Kitchen…Selected site-specific commission for exhibition ‘Cultivate’ Birmingham.
- Recollections. Selected site-specific exhibition St Giles the Abbott Church, Cheadle.
Consultancy and Training
2009 - 2010 - Guest Lecturer for Birmingham School of Art MA Arts and Health programme.
2008 - Exhibition selection for Potteries Museum and Art Gallery Open Exhibition.
2007 - Public Art Training Lead speaker for a Public Art Training event, Creative Interventions.
2003 - Design for ‘Sundance Visual Arts’ (A Commercial Audio Visual Company) created logo and name and have since had active role in advising on visual ideas.
2001-2003 - Advisor for West Midlands Arts duties included: Writing reports about the region’s arts activities, the Local Education Authority on the Ikon Gallery’s Education Programme, advising on applications for funding.
2002 - Consulted on the development of Keele University Undergraduate Degree path in ‘Media, Communications and Culture’