In 2012 I took a trip to India, where I made fast, fluid drawings without looking down at the page. These were attempts to record the chaos of movement, form, light and shadow. Like an antidote to the direct observation and immediate gesture of these drawings, painting slowed everything down. But with a more complex medium, this type of action seems to have resurfaced, through my imagination and the memory of my hand.
So I'm painting things that I havn't seen yet, but feel I know, as if I must discover the subject through the process of making it.
"I am seeking subject matter not abstraction" (Jonathan Lasker 1986)
CV & Education
- 4th April - 22nd June - Aesthetica Art Prize, York St Mary’s, Castlegate, York
- 9th April - 5th May - Group show, Cornwall Contemporary, Penzance
'Bright Lights', Porthminster Gallery, St Ives, 7th Dec - 11 Jan 2014
'Works on Paper', Cornwall Contemporary, Penzance, 15th November - 31st Dec
Cornwall Contemporary, Penzance, Oct 11th - Nov 4th
- 'Summer Sensation', Porthminster Gallery, St Ives
- '100 Curators 100 Days' , selected by independent curator Roy Exley, for the Saatchi online exhibition developed by Rebecca Wilson, Director, Saatchi Gallery, Saatchi online
- 'Curatorial Contrast 2', Bay Art, Cardiff
- 'Comfortably Strange', View Art Gallery, Bristol
- 'New Sensations', The Saatchi Gallery in association with Channel 4, Curated by Rebecca Wilson, The Old Truman Brewery, London