As an artist, my main areas of interest for the past three years have been the issues that surround relationships between humans and animals. With these, I have developed a number of themes, which look at our unlikely encounters with animals in everyday environments, for example, animals as meat, monstrous forms, animals in urban spaces. I have explored the bodily connection between pigs and humans, through performance and painting and have also worked with experimental taxidermy addressing playful notions of 'stuffing', influenced by the film The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, Her Lover.
My recent work explores the properties of sculpture and drawing. For example, by looking at the spaces animals inhabit and turning them into sculptural forms through methods of casting with different materials. The materials I have been experimenting with are plaster, concrete, silicone, liquid plastic and animal fats. These materials capture and record the imprints, traces and gestures of animal activities. I am also interested in the symbolic use of materials by artists such Joseph Beuys as well as exploring how the human body is interpreted and used as a material in itself. With an exploration of the wild, domesticated and agricultural habitats of rabbits, foxes, birds, dogs and rats I raise important questions about the residual traces left of the animal in different environments.
CV & Education
Qualifications and training -
- 2013 - MA Fine Art, Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester.
- 2012 - BA Contemporary Art, 1st class degree, University of Huddersfield, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.
- 2014 - Nottingham Castle Open Exhibition, Nottingham Castle, Casple PI, Nottingham.
- 2014 - Everyday Illusions, PAPER Gallery, 14 - 20 Mirabel Street, Manchester.
- 2014 - The Granary Art Gallery, Weston Park, Weston-under- Lizard, Shifnal.
- 2013 - What? Now!, Manchester Metropolitan University School of Art, Manchester.
- 2012 - Oil, Grease and Rubber, Unit 4B Piccadilly Place, Manchester.
- 2012 - This is how you stand correctly, Vyner Street Gallery, Vyner Street, London.
- 2012 - This is how you stand correctly, University of Huddersfield, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.
- 2011 - I Presume, University of Huddersfield, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire Degree shows.