Axis is a unique web-based information service presenting artists and curators practice. Axis helps artists, curators and those seeking to engage with artists and curators by increasing awareness, understanding and stimulating interaction with visual arts practice.
Axis is the trading name of Axis Web, a company limited by guarantee (registered no. 2595018) and a registered charity (registered no 1002841), funded by Arts Council England and Arts Council of Wales.
About the terms
Access to and use of 'www.axisweb.org' is provided by Axis on the following terms:
- By using www.axisweb.org you agree to be bound by these terms, which shall take effect immediately on your first use of www.axisweb.org. If you do not agree to be bound by all of the following terms please do not access, use and/or contribute to www.axisweb.org.
- You agree to use www.axisweb.org only for lawful purposes and in a way that does not infringe the rights of, restrict or inhibit anyone else's use and enjoyment of www.axisweb.org. Prohibited behaviour includes harassing or causing distress or inconvenience to any person, transmitting obscene or offensive material or disrupting any aspect of www.axisweb.org.
- All content (including applications) included on www.axisweb.org remains vested in Axis or its licensors (which includes artists, curators and other users), and is protected by copyright, trade marks, design rights, patents and other intellectual property Rights (registered and unregistered). You may not copy, reproduce, republish, disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer, download, post, broadcast, transmit, make available to the public, or otherwise use www.axisweb.org content in any way except for your own personal, non-commercial use. You also agree not to adapt, alter or create a derivative work from any www.axisweb.org content except for your own personal, non-commercial use. Any other use of www.axisweb.org content requires the prior written permission of the Axis.
- The names, images and logos identifying Axis, Axis Web Developments Ltd or third parties and their products and services are subject to copyright, design rights and trade marks of the Axis, Axis Web Developments Ltd and/or third parties. Nothing contained in these terms shall be construed as conferring any licence or right to use any trade mark, design right or copyright of the Axis, Axis Web Developments Ltd or any other third party.
Contributions to Axis
- By sharing any contribution (including any text, images, video or audio) with Axis you agree to grant Axis and/or Axis Web Developments Ltd a royalty-free, non-exclusive worldwide licence under copyright and any other intellectual property rights or similar rights existing elsewhere in the world to enable Axis to publish, use, reproduce, reformat, amend and make available to the public.
- In order that Axis can use your contribution, you confirm that that you are the owner of the copyright and other intellectual property rights for the material or that you are authorised by the copyright owner(s); you confirm the material is not defamatory; you confirm the material does not infringe any law; and you indemnify Axis against all legal fees, damages and other expenses that may be incurred by Axis as a result of your breach of the above.
- If you do not want to grant Axis the permission set out above on these terms, please do not submit or share your contribution to or with www.axisweb.org.
- You agree to use www.axisweb.org communities (eg forums) in accordance with the following Community Rules. These apply to all areas and services of www.axisweb.org. You should, however, read the local terms and conditions of the particular area or service you're using, as there may be some variations.
(i) About your posts:
- Contributions must be civil, tasteful and appropriate.
- No disruptive, offensive or abusive behaviour: contributions must be constructive and polite.
- Material that is unlawful, harassing, defamatory, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, offensive on grounds of race, religion, sexual orientation or gender or otherwise objectionable is not acceptable.
- If you use multiple profiles for the purpose of disrupting the forum you may have action taken against your profile accounts.
- No spamming or off-topic material: we don't allow the submission of the same or very similar contributions many times. Please don't re-submit your contribution to more than one discussion, or contribute off-topic material in subject-specific areas.
- No advertising.
- Contributions containing languages other than English may be removed
- No inappropriate (e.g. vulgar, offensive etc) user names.
- You may reference specific URLs (web site addresses) providing they are relevant to the discussion and the website content is appropriate.
- Never reveal any personal information about yourself or anyone else. This includes telephone numbers, address, email address.
(ii) Your Axis Membership:
- All Axis memberships must be registered with a valid personal email address that you access regularly so that moderation emails can be sent to you. Membership accounts registered with someone else's email address, or with temporary email addresses may be closed without notice. We may require users to re-validate their account if we believe they have been using an invalid email address.
- Axis reserves the right to close accounts if any user is seen to disrupt of any of our services in any way.
- Axis advise that you never reveal any personal information about yourself or anyone else (for example: telephone number, postal address, home address or email address or any other details that would allow you to be personally identified) in any Axis forum.
(iv) Legal requirements:
- You may not submit or share any defamatory or illegal material of any nature on www.axisweb.org. This includes text, images, video or audio.
- Contributing material to www.axisweb.org with the intention of committing or promoting an illegal act is strictly prohibited.
- You agree to submit to or share with www.axisweb.org only contributions which are your own original work. You must not violate, plagiarise, or infringe the rights of the Axis or third parties including copyright, trade mark, trade secrets, privacy, publicity, personal or proprietary rights.
(v) If you're under 16:
- Please get a parent's or guardian's permission before taking part in any www.axisweb.org community
- Never reveal any personal information about yourself or anyone else (for example, school, telephone number, your full name, home address or email address).
(vi) If you breach the Axis Community Rules:
- If you fail to abide by these rules when using www.axisweb.org community, you will be sent an email which informs you why your contribution has been refused or edited. This email will also include a warning that continuing to break the rules may result in action being taken against your account or accounts.
- If you fail to abide by these rules on three (3) occasions your access to all www.axisweb.org communities and forums will be temporarily suspended for one (1) week.
- If following a one (1) week suspension you fail to abide by these rules your access to all www.axisweb.org communities and forums will be temporarily suspended for one (1) month.
- If you continue to breach these rules Axis has the right to temporarily or permanently suspend your Axis membership and access to any other services offered by www.axisweb.org
- If you post or send offensive or inappropriate content or otherwise engage in any disruptive behaviour on www.axisweb.org, and Axis considers such behaviour to be serious and/or repeated, Axis may use whatever information that is available to it about you to stop any further such infringements. This may include informing relevant third parties such as your employer, school or email provider about the infringement/s.
- Axis reserves the right to delete any contribution, or take action against any Axis Membership account, at any time, for any reason.
Disclaimers and Limitation of Liability
- The majority of content posted on www.axisweb.org is created by artists, curators and art professionals. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of Axis.
- Axis has tried to ensure that the contents and information it provides on its web sites is accurate at the time of posting. Unfortunately it cannot guarantee the accuracy of contents or information contained in its pages and any person using information contained in them does so entirely at their own risk.
- Some content (text, images, video and audio) displayed on the Axis websites may cause offence in certain cultural contexts and may not be suitable for display to young children.
- The colour representation of images displayed on the websites may vary according to an individual users monitor settings and graphics card.
- Axis is not responsible for the availability or content of any third party sites that are accessible through www.axisweb.org. Any links to third party websites from www.axisweb.org do not amount to any endorsement of that site by the Axis and any use of that site by you is at your own risk.
- While Axis shall endeavour to make this site available at all times, we will not be liable if, for any reason, the site is unavailable for any period of time. Access to this site may be suspended at any time without prior notice being given.
- Axis is not liable for any of the following losses or damage (whether such damage or losses were foreseen, foreseeable, known or otherwise): (a) loss of data; (b) loss of revenue or anticipated profits; (c) loss of business; (d) loss of opportunity; (e) loss of goodwill or injury to reputation; (f) losses suffered by third parties; or (g) any indirect, consequential, special or exemplary damages arising from the use of www.axisweb.org regardless of the form of action.
- Axis does not warrant that functions available on www.axisweb.org will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that www.axisweb.org or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or bugs. You acknowledge that it is your responsibility to implement sufficient procedures and virus checks (including anti-virus and other security checks) to satisfy your particular requirements for the accuracy of data input and output.
- The failure or delay of Axis to exercise or enforce any right in these terms does not waive the Axis' right to enforce that right.
- These terms shall be governed by by English law and the parties submit the the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
Leeds Design Innovation Centre
46 The Calls