Axis is a unique web-based service presenting information on artists and curators. Axis helps artists, curators and those seeking to engage with artists and curators by increasing awareness, understanding and stimulating interaction with visual arts practice.
Axis is a registered charity, not-for-profit and is funded by Arts Council England, Arts Council of Wales and the Scottish Arts Council.
These terms and conditions are in addition to the Axis terms and conditions for use of the website
- Membership to Axis Website (the Website) is open to practising professional visual artists and curators who either complete the necessary Application Form(s) and submit these to Axis with the subscriptions or fee(s) payable and any evidence of status reasonably required by Axis or have been selected to appear on the Website through one of the Axis programmes. Axis reserves the right to refuse any application without giving reasons.
- Axis may change the eligibility requirements and any fees or subscriptions payable at any time without giving notice.
- Axis and/or Axis Web Developments Ltd may use, reproduce and publish the images and any other material supplied by you (the Materials) on the Website (or any part of or extract from the Website) and in any other electronic or non-electronic publication, form or medium determined by Axis from time to time (whether made available free of charge or otherwise), for the purposes of promoting the Website, the work of Axis, your work, for educational purposes, and for other purposes directly relating to the services carried out by Axis and its charitable purposes. The Materials may also be loaded onto databases in relation to these purposes.
- Axis has full editorial control over the content of the Website and its other publications, and over the way in which the Materials supplied by you are displayed; in addition Axis can change formatting and the way your Materials are presented on the Website or in other publications at any time without giving notice, including without limitation by amending the format, size, cropping or resolution of any Materials, or the context in which they are reproduced.
- You grant Axis a non-exclusive worldwide licence under copyright and any other intellectual property rights or similar rights existing elsewhere in the world to enable Axis to publish, use, reproduce, reformat and amend the Materials in accordance with paragraphs 3 and 4 above.
- You confirm that you are the owner(s) of the copyright and other intellectual property rights in the Materials (including the slides, photographs, videos or other reproduction of Materials supplied to Axis) or (if not the case) that you are authorised by the copyright owner(s) to grant Axis the licences in paragraph 5 above. You also confirm that you are not aware that the Materials infringe any third party intellectual property rights anywhere in the world.
- Axis cannot be responsible for (a) any claim that any of the Materials are obscene libellous or infringe any law anywhere in the world (b) any Materials lost or damaged in transit to or from Axis or while in the possession of Axis; or (c) any errors omissions or inaccuracies in the content of the Website. You must ensure that the Materials are suitable for display on the Website or in other publications, and that they are not obscene, libellous and do not infringe any law anywhere in the world before submitting them to Axis.
- Axis reserves the right to remove or exclude any Material supplied by you from the Website without giving reasons.
- Axis will credit you on the Website and whenever the Materials are reproduced or published under these Terms and Conditions.
- Axis will use its reasonable endeavours to prevent unauthorised use or reproduction of Materials by third parties but cannot be held responsible for any unauthorised use or reproduction.
- You may request Axis to remove your entry or any Materials from the Website by giving at least 30 days notice in writing at any time.
- Axis may (after giving you prior warning wherever practicable) remove or suspend your membership and the ability to access services offered by Axis if any subscription or other fees payable have not been paid when due or you are found in breach of any service terms and conditions or rules.
- Axis may (after giving you prior warning wherever practicable) transfer your Materials to the Axis Archive if your entry on the Website has not been updated for any reasonable period determined by Axis. The Axis Archive shall be subject to such terms and conditions as Axis may specify from time to time.
- These Terms and Conditions will be governed by English law and the parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
- Axis may make any reasonable changes to these Terms and Conditions at any time without giving notice to you.
Data Protection Notice
- 1. Axis will use and process the personal data supplied by [you] for the purpose of maintaining and operating the Website. This includes your contact details and other information comprised in the Materials, including sensitive personal data comprising information on race and ethnic origin which is optional but which Axis collects in order to monitor compliance with anti-discrimination legislation and which may be relevant for certain Website users.
- All the Materials supplied by you on Application and subsequently will be available for public access on the Website except for your contact details. Contact details may however be passed by Axis to users of the Website who may wish to contact you with work opportunities, subject to Axis normal procedures and User Terms and Conditions Your personal data may also need to be shared by Axis with its service providers.
- Axis may contact you from time to time to inform you of work opportunities and to keep you informed about Axis and its services.
By submitting Materials to Axis, you consent to these terms and conditions and the processing of your personal data as stated above.